GBREY'S BADASSS BLOG

One brothas view of the world's news, sports and culture. Stay informed, stay involved, stay badasss!!!

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

African Burial Ground National Monument in...NYC?!

An African burial ground was found in Manhattan during excavation for a Federal office tower. Protest kept the tower from being built and the bodies from being excavated, and now the monument for this site has been completed. This is a site that I will definitely visit next time I'm in New York (which I hope is very soon... damn I miss that city!). If you, like I, didn't know that slavery was as pervasive in the colonies' early history as it was in Charleston, South Carolina, then you might want to peruse the virtual tour of the "Slavery in New York" exhibit that the New York Historical Society put on in late 2005-early 2006.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home